Thursday, June 16, 2011

KEBAYA NYONYA: Everlasting & Classy!

Are Kebaya Nyonya can be consider a couture or just an artwork? I did asked to my grandma this question. She replied me that what I really understand between Couture Artwork and Kebaya Nyonya. I answered her according my experiences and understanding what is couture and Kebaya Nyonya. Couture is Haute Couture/High Fashion, means unique and professional technique in sewing. It refers exclusive custom made just for you (made to measure). Everything about couture is high quality. Most of couture dresses were sewn by the most experienced seamstresses. What I can say is that couture similar like a painter paint with beautiful colours on the plain canvas and become a masterpiece. It takes alot of patience and effort.

Kebaya Nyonya is part of history and our great heritage for all Malaysian. As I know,Kebaya Nyonya is a peranakan traditional attire. Peranakan means: They were part of the Chinese community and lived a lifestyle influenced by Chinese and Malay cultures. (Sorry If I'm wrong giving any info) For me, Kebaya Nyonya is the most beautiful piece among traditional garment I have seen. Most all of kebaya designs inspired by architecture and porcelain artwork.The Nyonyas did so in their kebayas, which were made with amazing elaborate designs and intricate embroidery then accessorized with expensive beautiful jewelry.

Only that I can give my best answers to my grandma. She replied me and give a beautiful smile. "My dear grandson, I hope one day you will somebody in this industry. Sadly, you don't know to sew it. If not I will hand over my knowledge to you." I only can expressed sigh all the way. I'm sad that this original artwork technique not be passed over to the new generation. Do I too late to learn something from my grandmama? Do my grandmama willing to teach me? I don't think so. It needs alot of patience and dedication.
One of my grandma's artwork. Simply beautiful and classy. Some people know some maybe not. Only those with high knowledge in Fashion wil know what type of fabric kebaya-maker normally use. If I not mistaken fabric that my grandma always use is Swiss Rubia or Kasa Rubia. But Swiss Rubia will be her choice. I just love the feel of the fabric. Lighweight,come with beautiful colours, BUT! catch out its not easy to find this kind of fabric.

 Fully embroidered by manual way. Can the new generation bet the senior? I don't think so.
This I call amazing artwork. Yes, simply couture indeed. Original and everlasting. Plus,this Kebaya Nyonya is VINTAGE. Glad, my mummy own it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment